The BBC has the story of an escapee from the FARC in Columbia. This guy had been held for 17 years waiting for a hostage exchange. He was held with 3 US intelligence agents captured in Feb. 2003. As he says,
“I hope it’s not my fault that the others face difficulties now,” Mr Pinchao told reporters at a news conference in Bogota.
Don’t worry Mr. Pinchao, you are certainly not blamed for what effing kidnappers do. Congratulations on your escape.
And in Iraq the search continues for our men captured there by al-Qaeda.
Personnel monitoring Iraqi tip call-in lines have also been busy. Thousands of leaflets were dropped requesting information leading to the return of the Soldiers. The leaflets list telephone numbers for tip lines, and the information given is routed to units in the area.
Maj. Kenny Mintz, a native of San Diego, Calif., and the brigade operations officer for the 2nd BCT, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), out of Fort Drum, N.Y., said the 2nd BCT’s participation in the search for the Soldiers is continuing by all available means.
“Right now our focus is on searching for the missing Soldiers, and we’re trying to isolate the areas where we think they could be,” Mintz said. “The (captors) don’t have freedom of movement; if they have the Soldiers, they can’t move them from where they are. We’re doing a deliberate search of the areas for the people responsible for the Soldiers we’re looking for.”
Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, the commander of Multi-National Corps-Iraq, was the first to speak about the incident.
“Make no mistake,” Caldwell said Saturday. “We will never stop looking for our Soldiers until their status is definitely determined.”